Exclusive: Volkswagen India to update the 1.5TDi engine by late 2016
Matter: On the sidelines of the Skoda Superb launch today, a high ranking official confirmed that the Volkswagen group is working on updating its 1.5TDi motor. Based on the infamous EA189 platform, the updated 1.5TDi currently makes 105PS in the Polo GT and Vento while in the standard Polo, it makes 90PS. Expect it to make 2PS more in the new iteration and about 10Nm more torque. Efficiency is expected to go up a notch as well, about 7 per cent thereabouts.
Volkswagen might start by introducing this engine with the new Ameo compact sedan. Eventually it will replace the current motor in all its applications including the Vento, Polo and Skoda Rapid.
The official was quick to say that the motor stays as a BS4. He says every company aims at lower emissions but it doesn't always involve moving up to a higher class like Euro VI.
The 1.5TDi motor was introduced in India in 2014. This engine replaced the old 1.6TDi and made more power and torque than the former. Needless to say, it was more efficient as well and it fit under the government's definition of a small diesel engine. This meant it could benefit from the lower excise duties levied on diesel engines below 1.5l capacity. This engine is also exported to Mexico. Volkswagen currently has around 24 per cent localisation, however, the level is expected to rise to 40 per cent towards the end of this year.
Starts Rs 5.43 Lakhs
Starts Rs 8.48 Lakhs
Starts Rs 25.34 Lakhs
Starts Rs 4.65 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.54 Lakhs
Team OD | 14 Feb 2019
- News2019 Honda CBR650R to be sold through Honda's Wing World dealership network
- NewsHonda CBR650R bookings open in India, to be priced under Rs 8 lakh
- News2020 Range Rover Evoque spied in India
- News2019 Geneva Motor Show: 2020 Ssangyong Korando SUV revealed
- NewsMG Motor to launch eZS electric SUV in India by end-2019
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani