Exclusive: Volkswagen India to update the 1.5TDi engine by late 2016
Matter: On the sidelines of the Skoda Superb launch today, a high ranking official confirmed that the Volkswagen group is working on updating its 1.5TDi motor. Based on the infamous EA189 platform, the updated 1.5TDi currently makes 105PS in the Polo GT and Vento while in the standard Polo, it makes 90PS. Expect it to make 2PS more in the new iteration and about 10Nm more torque. Efficiency is expected to go up a notch as well, about 7 per cent thereabouts.
Volkswagen might start by introducing this engine with the new Ameo compact sedan. Eventually it will replace the current motor in all its applications including the Vento, Polo and Skoda Rapid.
The official was quick to say that the motor stays as a BS4. He says every company aims at lower emissions but it doesn't always involve moving up to a higher class like Euro VI.
The 1.5TDi motor was introduced in India in 2014. This engine replaced the old 1.6TDi and made more power and torque than the former. Needless to say, it was more efficient as well and it fit under the government's definition of a small diesel engine. This meant it could benefit from the lower excise duties levied on diesel engines below 1.5l capacity. This engine is also exported to Mexico. Volkswagen currently has around 24 per cent localisation, however, the level is expected to rise to 40 per cent towards the end of this year.
Starts Rs 5.35 Lakhs
Starts Rs 8.48 Lakhs
Starts Rs 25.34 Lakhs
Starts Rs 4.65 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.54 Lakhs
- NewsF1: 2018 will be Fernando Alonso's last season in Formula 1
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: TVS Racing announces six-rider line-up
- News2018 Msports X30 Karting Championship: Shahan Ali Mohsin overcomes early upsets to win in Junior category
- NewsBMW M2 Competition set to debut in India soon
- News2019 Honda HR-V crossover facelift unveiled, to be powered by 1.5-litre i-VTEC
- NewsLiberty Walk transforms the Suzuki Jimmy into a mini G-Class
- NewsBMW X7 flagship SUV shows its off roading capabilty in new teaser
- News2019 Kawasaki Ninja H2 gets more power, Brembo Stylema calipers and a self healing paint
- NewsBajaj Pulsar NS160 with rear disc brakes spotted at dealership
- NewsToyota Rush SUV to launch in Pakistan soon, India launch next?