Volkswagen Passat BlueMotion Concept debuts at Detroit 2014
The new Passat BlueMotion concept was showcased at the Detroit Show 2014. While still instantly recognisable as a Passat, the headlamps and fog lamps both have been significantly altered. But the talking point of the Passat BlueMotion concept car is not the looks or interiors. It is about the new 1.4-litre turbocharged petrol engine which makes 150PS but has cylinder deactivation technology.
2014 Volkswagen BlueMotion Concept
Like big V8 engines, the TSI engine shuts down two cylinders when the car is coasting or in low load conditions. The dual-clutch transmission decouples the wheels from the engine in the said above condition and this helps the big Volkswagen to achieve a very impressive 17.85kmpl in the US cycle. Future VW vehicles may come integrated with this technology as the German carmaker is looking to incorporate this especially with the claimed fuel savings.
Volkswagen Dune Beetle Concept
Other cars which Volkswagen showcased at Detroit were Dune Beetle- a 21st century version of the Baja Beetle with a taller and wider stance. Volkswagen have given it 19-inch wheels which add to its beefed up look. The spoiler at the back of the Dune Beetle doubles as a ski rack as well. Volkswagen still hasn't decided if they will like to put the BlueMotion or even the Dune Beetle for production.
Starts Rs 29.99 Lakhs
- NewsExclusive: 2018 Toyota Yaris to be launched in India on April 24, bookings now open
- News2019 Volkswagen Touareg teased before March 23 reveal in Beijing
- ReviewRange Rover Velar P250 road test review
- NewsForce Motors announces joint venture with Rolls-Royce Power Systems under Force MTU Power Systems banner
- News2018 Bentley Continental GT launching in India on March 24
- FeaturesBetter riding: You must be able to see where you're going! | Near miss!
- NewsMG Motor to launch first car in India earlier than planned, by second quarter of 2019
- NewsUpcoming 700km Mumbai-Nagpur expressway to reduce travel time by half
- NewsIndian Oil begins doorstep delivery of diesel in India
- News2018 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado facelift launched in India at Rs 92.6 lakh