Volvo Cars next-gen infotainment to be based on Android P, come integrated with Google maps, Google play store and Google assistant
Volvo cars debuted the next generation of Google's in-car entertainment system at the recent Google I/O event. The system, demonstrated on a Volvo XC40 SUV is an all-new offering based on Android P and adds more Google integration than Android Auto.
The new system has been developed by Volvo for in-car use and carries design themes from its own Sensus interface. This system now replaces Volvo's navigation software with Google Maps directly in the system. A version of Google's Play Store is also available. This is different from the phone apps and contains a selection of apps compatible for use during driving. Users can now download these apps directly into the car access them via the infotainment.
There is also greater Google assistant integration than before, voice commands can be used to change climate and other in-car settings or even access navigation and make calls, send messages and so on.
Henrik Green, senior vice-president of research and development at Volvo Cars said bringing Google services into Volvo cars will accelerate innovation in connectivity and boost Volvo's development in applications and connected services,"
Green also said the Google partnership to be entered into is an important strategic alliance for Volvo Cars. The Android platform, Google services and Google's working relationship with app developers in-house and worldwide will help further improve the Volvo car experience.
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- NewsFormula E: Daniel Abt leads Audi one-two at home race in Berlin
- FeaturesVideo worth watching: The Frankenstein E28 BMW 5 Series
- NewsTennis-ace Rafael Nadal to be race starter for this year's 24 Hours of Le Mans
- NewsSavsol automotive engine oils and lubricants relaunched in India with revised positioning
- NewsVideo Worth Watching: Nico Rosberg and his Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing
- NewsConfirmed: Hyundai Creta SUV facelift to be launched in India on May 21
- NewsCox and Kings launches Self-Drive 365 holiday planning service
- ReviewKia K900 first drive review
- NewsBMW iNext autonomous electric crossover teased, will be their new technology flagship
- News2019 Aston Martin Vantage production begins at Gaydon, Warwickshire