Volvo Cars to supply Uber with 24,000 Volvo XC90 autonomous cars by 2021
Volvo Cars has announced that it will supply ride-sharing company Uber with 24,000 units of its Volvo XC90 autonomous SUV between 2019 and 2021. The announcement comes after the Volvo and Uber signed a framework agreement. The Volvo XC90 is the base vehicle platform on which Uber has developed all of its self-driving technology. The XC90 SUV is based on Volvo's Scalable Product Architecture (SPA), which also underpins other 90 series cars as well as the new Volvo XC60. Reports suggest that the non-exclusive agreement between Uber and Volvo is worth $ 1.4 billion (Rs 9101.75 crore). Volvo states that its engineers have worked closely with the engineers from Uber to develop the XC90 SUVs to be supplied to Uber. Volvo recently began assembling its flagship XC90 at its India facility.
According to Volvo, the base vehicles incorporate all necessary safety, redundancy, and core autonomous driving technologies that are required for Uber to add its own self-driving technology. Meanwhile, Volvo will also use this same base vehicle in the development of its own independent autonomous car strategy, under which it plans to release its first fully autonomous car in 2021.
Among Indian manufacturers, Tata is pursuing autonomous driving technology development, with its autonomous Tata Hexa already being tested in the UK. Volvo is set to release its 2018 Volvo XC60 SUV in India in December, which was spotted testing in India last week.
Starts Rs 77.41 Lakhs
Starts Rs 12.49 Lakhs
Starts Rs 57.9 Lakhs
- News2018 Blancpain GT Series Asia: Aditya Patel and OD Racing finish in the points at Fuji Speedway
- News2018 Baja Aragon: Sherco TVS factory rally team's Michael Metge wins 35th edition of event
- NewsFCA appoints Mike Manley as the new CEO
- NewsEXCLUSIVE: Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT to be launched in India in early September
- NewsConfirmed: Bajaj Auto to introduce Husqvarna Vitpilen 401 and Svartpilen 401 motorcycles in India next year
- NewsNew Hyundai Santro/Atos spotted testing again before launch
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Jeet Jhabakh and Dhruv Mohite end Round 2 on a high note
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Saurav Bandyopadhyay wins opening race of Round 2 at MMRT
- NewsSpec comparison: BMW G 310 GS vs Royal Enfield Himalayan FI vs Kawasaki Versys-X 300
- News2019 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS launched in India at Rs 2.98 lakh