Volvo develops inflatable child seat concept
Volvo has developed a new rear-facing inflatable child seat which is easy to carry, lightweight and less tedious to pack and unpack. This seat was designed by Lawrence Abele who is the design manager at Volvo's Monitoring and Concept Center in Los Angeles. He designed the concept seat with his two kids in mind. Details such as price and when it will be available have not been revealed yet.
The concept seat is made from a material called drop-stitch fabric which is very strong and can withstand very high internal pressure. The seat weighs in at less than 5kg which is less than half the weight of conventional child seats in the market. There is a pump system built in which can inflate the seat in less than 40 seconds and can deflate it as well. Other useful feature which has been incorporated is the online Bluetooth system which enables the seat to be inflated remotely, very handy, when you have a toddler hanging on to you.
The seat has been deliberately designed to face the rear of the car as the neck of the child is not as developed as an adult and in case of a frontal impact will not be able to take the strain exerted on it. Lawrence says, "For me child safety is always the number one priority and when we lived abroad with two toddlers we had to haul bulky child seats through airports and then into taxis. For many, travelling with young children is a challenge; any assistance to simplify the parents' life with young children is a great thing."
- NewsVinales secures pole position for 2018 MotoGP season finale in Valencia, Marquez qualifies fifth despite crash
- News2018 JK NRC: Nayan Chatterjee and Karthik Tharani take Euro JK 18 championship down to the wire
- Review2018 TVS Radeon road test review
- News2018 Mahindra Alturas G4: Preliminary image gallery
- NewsVinod Dasari resigns as MD and CEO of Ashok Leyland
- Review2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 road test review
- NewsSpec comparo: Jawa vs Royal Enfield Classic 350
- NewsMercedes-Benz C-Class facelift petrol to launch in India by the end of 2018
- NewsImage gallery: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS launched in India at Rs 84.70 lakh
- News2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 bookings start in India, deliveries post April 2019