Volvo mulling three-cylinder engines
After announcing its Drive E engines, Volvo is reportedly working on all-new three-cylinder powerplants. A three-cylinder 1.5-litre turbocharged engine is in the works. This could help the Swedish manufacturer to have class leading fuel efficiency and further clamp down its carbon emissions. This engine will however not have too many variants like its four-cylinder sibling. This is because the engine will not be powerful enough to power anything bigger than the S60 or V60.
This three-cylinder family will make its debut around 2018-19. Derik Crabb, Volvo's global powertrain boss believes that once electric cars become more commercially viable and have higher power electric engines, the requirement of three cylinder engines for charging or hybrid applications will increase.
Considering that Volvo launched the Drive E engine here right after its international launch, there is a chance that the three-cylinder may make its way to the Indian market. Volvo products are CBUs and bringing in a three-cylinder engine to India will lead to lower costs allowing the company to position its products at attractive entry level prices.
Starts Rs 31.64 Lakhs
- NewsINRC 2018: Popular Rally in Kochi to see three-way champonship tussle
- NewsDucati enters pre-owned motorcycle segment in India with Ducati Approved
- FeaturesTata Harrier: Things you will like
- NewsMcLaren commissions six special edition cars to celebrate racing heritage
- FeaturesOverview: Tata Harrier's OMEGA architecture
- NewsBookings open for the 2019 Nissan Kicks SUV
- NewsJawa Jawa and Jawa Forty-Two video: Exhaust note, top speed, design and features explained
- ReviewJawa Jawa first ride review
- NewsLive updates: Jawa Jawa and Jawa Forty-Two ridden in India
- News2019 Yamaha Saluto RX 110, Saluto 125 UBS launched in India at Rs 52,000