Volvo to locally assemble the XC60 in India
Volvo Auto India has announced that it the XC60 will be locally assembled by the end of September 2018. At present, the XC60 is imported via the CBU route. Local manufacturing is expected to reduce costs and help the Swedish manufacture compete against the German trio- BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi. At present, Volvo assembles the S90 luxury sedan and the XC90 at its factory in Bengaluru.
The new Volvo
The announcement was made at the launch of the new XC40 in India. Priced at Rs 39.9 lakh( ex-showroom), the new XC40 goes up against the Audi Q3 and Mercedes-Benz GLA. While Volvo has not announced plans to locally manufacture the XC40, the possibility of this happening in the future cannot be ruled out. Volvo could also consider expanding its production capacity to export cars to other markets.
The new Volvo XC60
Volvo is on an aggressive expansion plan in India which includes dealership and service network expansion. The company is set to open five new dealerships in India by the end of 2018. The plan is to open one dealership every month to take the total number of Volvo passenger car dealers to twenty-seven.
The new Volvo XC60
The new XC60 is the most feature loaded vehicle in its segment, something that we appreciated in the comparison test with the new BMW X3 and the Audi Q5. It is also the only vehicle in its segment to get radar-based safety systems, in India. This is because the radar frequencies that Volvo uses are approved by the Government of India. The frequencies that the German manufacturers use are yet to be approved.
Starts Rs 57.9 Lakhs
Starts Rs 32.48 Lakhs
Starts Rs 53.25 Lakhs
Starts Rs 49.99 Lakhs
Starts Rs 31.72 Lakhs
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Santolino Lorenzo dominates Moto category
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Image gallery Leg 2
- NewsBrabus makes a 600PS Mercedes-AMG GLC 63 S SUV
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Image gallery Leg 1
- NewsVideo worth watching: V12-powered Ferrari 250 GTO screaming to glory
- Review2018 Honda Jazz review
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Leg 1 sets the event rolling today with SS 1 to SS 3
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Scrutiny and driver's briefing image gallery
- FeaturesIndependence Quattro Drive 2018: From Chandigarh to Leh
- NewsDrag strip-only Ford Mustang Cobra Jet unveiled