Volvo XC40 based Geely Concept Icon unveiled at Auto China 2018
Volvo-parent Geely has unveiled the Geely Concept Icon at the ongoing Auto China 2018. The Icon uses the same modular architecture from the Volvo XC40 and can be equipped with internal combustion, hybrid and electric powertrains.
The design of the Concept Icon has been inspired by the 8-bit computer graphics popular in the 1980s. This translates into an angular, blocky theme with rounded-off edges throughout the car's exterior. This theme follows into the interior as well, which has a rectangular infotainment display and an angular gearshift lever. The dash is lined with a grey fabric while the steering wheel is a rounded square shape. The instrument display is recessed when not in use, leaving a clean dash with only the infotainment system in the centre. Another notable design feature is the full-length glass roof.
The car is similarly proportioned to the XC40 but is unlikely to make it into production. No powertrain details were given either but it will most likely be electric. This CMA platform also underpins the 01 and 02 crossovers from Geely's Lynk & Co electric only brand.
The Concept Icon seems purely an exercise to highlight Geely's design capabilities. The Chinese-brand has been on an aggressive expansion spree lately, it owns Volvo and Lotus and will soon launch the Lynk & Co brand in Europe. It also recently made news when it purchased a sizeable stake in Daimler, Mercedes-Benz' parent company.
Starts Rs 39.9 Lakhs
- NewsINRC 2018: Popular Rally in Kochi to see three-way champonship tussle
- NewsDucati enters pre-owned motorcycle segment in India with Ducati Approved
- FeaturesTata Harrier: Things you will like
- NewsMcLaren commissions six special edition cars to celebrate racing heritage
- FeaturesOverview: Tata Harrier's OMEGA architecture
- NewsBookings open for the 2019 Nissan Kicks SUV
- NewsJawa Jawa and Jawa Forty-Two video: Exhaust note, top speed, design and features explained
- ReviewJawa Jawa first ride review
- NewsLive updates: Jawa Jawa and Jawa Forty-Two ridden in India
- News2019 Yamaha Saluto RX 110, Saluto 125 UBS launched in India at Rs 52,000