WEC: Fernando Alonso tops FP1 at Spa-Francorchamps
Fernando Alonso's sportscar racing campaign has gotten off to a good start. The McLaren driver, who is currently piloting a Toyota LMP1 machine at the 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps, the season-opening round of the World Endurance Championship, has set the fastest time in the first practice session.
Fernando Alonso set the fastest time in FP1 at the 2018 WEC 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps
Alonso's first official laps in the No.8 TS050 Hybrid were in FP1, and he ended the session with a timing of 1min 58.392sec, which remained unbeaten till the end of the session.
It was a one-two finish for the Japanese racing team, with team-mate Mike Conway finishing 0.237 seconds adrift of the Spaniard in the No.7 TS050. The third-fastest time in the session went to Rebellion Racing who clocked a time that was 0.457 seconds adrift of the leader. It also helped establish them as the fastest privateer team in the LMP1 class.
DragonSpeed set the fourth-fastest time, with Ben Hanley behind the wheel, while the second Rebellion Racing car set the fifth fastest time. ByKolles ended sixth, with SMP Racing seventh-fastest.
- OpinionOn OVERDRIVE turning twenty...
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV
- News2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show
- News2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class launched in India at Rs 40 lakh
- NewsNew-gen Honda CR-V to be launched in India on October 9
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class facelift India launch
- NewsImage gallery: Mercedes-AMG A35 revealed
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 hot hatchback revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show