World Endurance Championship 2015: Porsche claims pole position in LMP1 category during qualifying at Bahrain
The final race of the FIA World Endurance Championship 2015 is being held in the BIC at Bahrain. Porsche, who have won nearly all the races this season, are ready to seal the championship with a pole position. The number 17 car driven by Timo Bernhard and Brendon Hartley raced to be ahead of the pack while the number 18 919 Hybrid driven by Marc Lieb and Romain Dumas came in second.
The Porsches had been dominating the entire morning as they have been for the full 2015 season. Timo and Brendon were together lapped at 1:39.736 minutes while Marc and Domain clocked in times of 1:40.100 minutes. The third drivers in both the cars, number 17 and 18, Mark Webber and Neel Jani, were consciously kept away from the driving part owing to a team strategy. Earlier in the day, both the drivers revealed that the team strategy was to beat the 3rd and 4th placed (in the qualifying) Audi teams for the drivers' title. Porsche is currently 13 points ahead of the rest of the pack, in the race for the drivers' title. Even a fourth place in the race today will ensure that Porsche ends up with the drivers' title.
Last year's winner and now defending champions, Toyota, finished fifth and sixth in the qualifying. Along with the LMP1 races, MRF also ran the final support race on Nov 20, 2015. The 6 Hours of Bahrain starts in a couple of hours and we will keep you posted on the progress. In the meantime, keep an eye on our Twitter feeds to ensure that you don't miss out on the action.
Team OD | 19 Feb 2018
- NewsF2 2018: Arjun Maini signs with Trident for FIA Formula 2 Championship
- Review2018 TVS Apache RR 310 road test review
- Features2016 Yamaha YZF-R3 long term review: After 12,572km and two years
- NewsPorsche discontinues diesel, to focus on EVs and hybrids
- News721PS/770Nm Ferrari 488 Pista comes with the most powerful V8 built by the company
- NewsTriumph Bonneville Speedmaster to launch in India on February 27, 2018
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Mahindra KUV100 Adventure Edition image gallery
- NewsGeneva Motor Show: Tata 45X based sedan teased
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Hyundai Elite i20 facelift image gallery
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha Motoroid concept