WSBK: Tom Sykes hits back with a double win at Donington Park
It was a perfect homecoming for defending Champion Tom Sykes who pulled off a double win and led teammate Loris Baz in a dominating performance by Kawasaki Racing in the fifth round of the World Superbike Championship. The duo was unstoppable in both the races, claiming a strong 1-2 finish.
Tom Sykes won at Donington Park in the 2013 World Superbike Championship as well
Davide Giugliano who had claimed pole for the first race crashed out in an attempt to push for the lead and ended fourth in the second race. It was a race to forget for the rider in form, Jonathan Rea who wasn't able to make a mark in either race, finishing a disappointing sixth in both the races. The Pata Honda rider, who had won the previous three races of the WSBK fell well off the pace as his tyres couldn't keep up with the low grip conditions. Rea will have to bounce back harder as he now stands 26 points behind Sykes.
Aprilia Racing's Sylvain Guintoli too had a poor first race but made an impressive fightback in the second to hold on to the final podium place. Suzuki too made an effort to get a win and made it to third place through Alex Lowes who put in a brilliant run in the first race to finish ahead of the other riders. Things weren't the same in the second race though as both Suzuki racers slipped off the track on crucial moments, costing them the points. On the other hand, American rider Aaron Yates of team Hero EBR was again able to complete the first race but failed to do so in his second attempt.
In the lower EVO Class, it was Kawasaki's David Salom who picked up both wins at the Donington Park. India's Mahi Racing Team rider Fabien Foret finished third in the first race but couldn't keep up the pace in the second, during which he dropped to sixth. The World SBK will now be now heading to Asia with the next two races scheduled to take place at the Sepang, Malaysia on the 8th of June this year.
- News2018 Ford Aspire facelift bookings open in India ahead of launch
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez claims Aragon GP victory
- NewsTVS StaR City+ launched in new grey-black paint option at Rs 52,907
- NewsSkoda appoints Pavel Richter as production technical director of its India 2.0 project
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 riding gear and apparel
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 accessories
- OpinionOn OVERDRIVE turning twenty...
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV