Yamaha Alpha scooter spotted in India before Auto Expo 2014 launch
Yamaha has time and again indicated that its focus is to grow in India. The two-wheeler manufacturer's scooter portfolio is bringing in the numbers for the company and needless to say, Yamaha is planning more scooters on the successful Ray platform. Proof is the new unisex scooter spotted ahead of its official unveil at the Auto Expo 2014. The Yamaha Alpha, as the sticker on the scooter suggests, borrows the Ray's underpinnings. It however has a bulbous looking body line similar to the Activa, Jupiter and Access and comes with steel wheels. Elongated indicator lamps are housed in the front apron while the headlamp unit, unlike the Ray's, moves with the handlebar. The side body panels are new as well. The seat unit like its competitors looks broad and comfortable. There is a storage hook in front of the seat which should be good to hold the groceries. The grab rail looks similar to the competition. We expect the tail lamp unit to be in line with what the competition offers. Yamaha though could have chosen to give an external fuel filler, something which the recently launched Jupiter offers. Braking duties will be handled by drums at both the ends, though we feel that Yamaha may offer a front disc as an option. There are telescopic front forks on offer as well.
Powering the Yamaha Alpha may be the tried and trusted 113cc engine from the Ray or an all-new 125cc engine. If it's the former, then the Apha will have 7.1PS of power and 8.1Nm of torque. Like last expo, Yamaha may just choose to unveil this scooter and launch it at a later date. It will be positioned above the Ray and Ray Z. We expect Yamaha to price it competitively.
Starts Rs 51,672
Starts Rs 50,817
- NewsF1: 2018 will be Fernando Alonso's last season in Formula 1
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: TVS Racing announces six-rider line-up
- News2018 Msports X30 Karting Championship: Shahan Ali Mohsin overcomes early upsets to win in Junior category
- NewsBMW M2 Competition set to debut in India soon
- News2019 Honda HR-V crossover facelift unveiled, to be powered by 1.5-litre i-VTEC
- NewsLiberty Walk transforms the Suzuki Jimmy into a mini G-Class
- NewsBMW X7 flagship SUV shows its off roading capabilty in new teaser
- News2019 Kawasaki Ninja H2 gets more power, Brembo Stylema calipers and a self healing paint
- NewsBajaj Pulsar NS160 with rear disc brakes spotted at dealership
- NewsToyota Rush SUV to launch in Pakistan soon, India launch next?