Yamaha likely to launch the YZF-R3 in India on August 11, 2015
There has been much speculation about Yamaha's performance range in India. While the YZF-R1 and R1M did come to India this year, their price tags remain a deterrent for many. But when images of the new Yamaha R3 and R25 started doing the rounds, it didn't deter enthusiasts (us included) from excitedly speculating that the company will bring down at least one if not both of these relatively affordable yet performance-oriented machines. Now, thanks to an invite from Yamaha India, one's inclined to believe that either of the two products could be on its way to the Indian market on August 11.
Our source says that the machine in question is indeed a high performance product and will most likely be the Yamaha YZF-R3. The R3 is powered by a in-line twin cylinder 321cc motor that makes 42PS of power and 29Nm of torque. The engine comes mated to a 6-speed transmission. The technology is borrowed from the old R1 and R6 and this includes forged pistons, DiASil cylinders, downdraft fuel injection and more. While it is a bored out unit of the new R25, the R3 runs a slightly lower compression ratio than the former.
The Yamaha YZF-R3 is built on an all-new steel frame. Fully fuelled, the Yamaha R3 weighs 169kg and has a 248PS/tonne power to weight ratio. KYB telescopic front forks and a single unit at the rear handle suspension duties. Braking is carried out by 298mm and 220mm hydraulic disc brakes at the front and rear respectively. While European markets get ABS as standard, expect Yamaha to offer it only as an option here (See our image gallery for the Yamaha YZF-R3).
The source further added that this is going to be a locally manufactured motorcycle or, to be more accurate, assembled here. Expect the Yamaha to command a premium over its rivals, the KTM RC 390 and the Honda CBR250R. It's likely to be priced similar to the Kawasaki Ninja 300 and Hyosung GT250R.
More from OVERDRIVE on the new Yamaha YZF-R25 and YZF-R3:
Starts Rs 3,48,000
Starts Rs 1,64,143
Starts Rs 3,44,000
Starts Rs 2,98,000
Starts Rs 2,35,735
Team OD | 12 Feb 2019
Team OD | 14 Feb 2019
- NewsSpec Comparo: Benelli TRK 502X vs Kawasaki Versys X 300 vs SWM SuperDual T
- News2019 Bajaj Avenger Cruise 220 ABS spied, priced Rs 1.26 lakh on-road Mumbai
- NewsConfirmed: Benelli to launch Leoncino 500, Imperiale 400 and 502C motorcycles in India this year
- NewsRenault Kwid EV production version spotted testing for the first time
- News2019 Geneva Motor Show: Audi Q4 e-tron concept sketches unveiled
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani