Yamaha to start producing electric concept bikes by 2016
Yamaha has confirmed in its annual report that it plans to start producing PED1 and PES1 concepts by 2016. The offroad electric bike PED1 and the electric sports bike PES1 were first showcased at 2013 Tokyo Motor Show.
Yamaha PED1 Concept offroad bike
The two concepts showcased at the Tokyo Show had a monocoque chassis, derived power from a lithium ion battery pack and had a brushless DC motor. Transmission could be opted in both automatic and manual mode. The PES1, which is a naked bike, weighed under 100kg and the PED1 off-roader is even lighter at 85kg.
The PES1 concept is reportedly capable of hitting a top speed of just under 100kmph. We expect the production version to do better. Expect more details by the time the two EVs hit production.
Yamaha PES1 Concept sports bike
Yamaha's annual report states, "We are working to create new value with EV sports motorcycles, which we aim to launch in two years, with the development of the small, on-road sports PES1, as well as the PED1, which are being developed to expand the scope of electric vehicles to the off-road world."
- News2018 LA Motor Show: Hyundai Palisade three-row SUV leaked ahead of official reveal
- FeaturesOsian's auction of a collection of automobile memorabilia from the pricely state of Bhavnagar
- NewsMercedes-Benz A-Class hatchback gets new diesel engines in Europe
- News2018 Maruti Suzuki Ciaz facelift recalled over faulty speedometer assembly
- NewsIsuzu D-Max V-Cross now available with the limited run 'Jonty Rhodes Limited 30' package for Rs 1.99 lakh
- NewsMcLaren Speedtail testing begins before 2020 deliveries
- NewsHonda Cars India could launch its first electric vehicle in India by 2023-2024
- NewsSete Gibernau joins 2019 MotoE rider line-up
- News2018 Mahindra Scorpio S9 launched in India at Rs 13.99 lakh
- FeaturesTVS Apache: Three million and counting...