2013 Porsche Cayman first drive
We're at Dubai to experience the all new 2013 Porsche Cayman. As before the Boxster looks very similar to the new one that was launched a few months back. The Cayman is essentially a Boxster with a fixed roof but this time around Porsche developed the Boxster and Cayman separately from the ground up. It's got a longer wheelbase and wider tracks both at front and rear. The wheels have been pushed further to the extremities and while the car has gotten a little larger it's also gotten lighter thanks to a new aluminium and steel construction. Two engines are on offer - a 2.7-litre flat six that makes 275PS and a 3.4-litre flat six good for 325PS in the Cayman S. We will only be getting the S in India so well focus on that. Power is up by 5PS from the old car but the car is more efficient thanks to improved heat management, the new electric steering and a start stop system.
The Cayman has always been about handling finesse thanks to the mid engine configuration, low mounted flat six and two seater layout. The new car, simply out is a revelation around a track. Turn ins are excellent, roll is almost nonexistent and the beautiful balance makes it feel like the car is pivoting into the corner around a centre point thanks to the mid engine layout. The front brakes are lifted off the base 911 and feel excellent while the dual clutch PDK gearbox continues to be one of the best in the business.
Porsche plans to launch the Cayman S in April and it should cost about Rs 84lakh, Rs4lakh more than the Boxster S. As always, read the full story in our next issue.
Starts Rs 1.05 Crore
Starts Rs 1.02 Crore
- NewsINRC 2018: Popular Rally in Kochi to see three-way champonship tussle
- NewsDucati enters pre-owned motorcycle segment in India with Ducati Approved
- FeaturesTata Harrier: Things you will like
- NewsMcLaren commissions six special edition cars to celebrate racing heritage
- FeaturesOverview: Tata Harrier's OMEGA architecture
- NewsBookings open for the 2019 Nissan Kicks SUV
- NewsJawa Jawa and Jawa Forty-Two video: Exhaust note, top speed, design and features explained
- ReviewJawa Jawa first ride review
- NewsLive updates: Jawa Jawa and Jawa Forty-Two ridden in India
- News2019 Yamaha Saluto RX 110, Saluto 125 UBS launched in India at Rs 52,000