2013 Porsche Cayman first drive
We're at Dubai to experience the all new 2013 Porsche Cayman. As before the Boxster looks very similar to the new one that was launched a few months back. The Cayman is essentially a Boxster with a fixed roof but this time around Porsche developed the Boxster and Cayman separately from the ground up. It's got a longer wheelbase and wider tracks both at front and rear. The wheels have been pushed further to the extremities and while the car has gotten a little larger it's also gotten lighter thanks to a new aluminium and steel construction. Two engines are on offer - a 2.7-litre flat six that makes 275PS and a 3.4-litre flat six good for 325PS in the Cayman S. We will only be getting the S in India so well focus on that. Power is up by 5PS from the old car but the car is more efficient thanks to improved heat management, the new electric steering and a start stop system.
The Cayman has always been about handling finesse thanks to the mid engine configuration, low mounted flat six and two seater layout. The new car, simply out is a revelation around a track. Turn ins are excellent, roll is almost nonexistent and the beautiful balance makes it feel like the car is pivoting into the corner around a centre point thanks to the mid engine layout. The front brakes are lifted off the base 911 and feel excellent while the dual clutch PDK gearbox continues to be one of the best in the business.
Porsche plans to launch the Cayman S in April and it should cost about Rs 84lakh, Rs4lakh more than the Boxster S. As always, read the full story in our next issue.
Starts Rs 1.05 Crore
Starts Rs 1.02 Crore
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- NewsFormula E: Daniel Abt leads Audi one-two at home race in Berlin
- FeaturesVideo worth watching: The Frankenstein E28 BMW 5 Series
- NewsTennis-ace Rafael Nadal to be race starter for this year's 24 Hours of Le Mans
- NewsSavsol automotive engine oils and lubricants relaunched in India with revised positioning
- NewsVideo Worth Watching: Nico Rosberg and his Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing
- NewsConfirmed: Hyundai Creta SUV facelift to be launched in India on May 21
- NewsCox and Kings launches Self-Drive 365 holiday planning service
- ReviewKia K900 first drive review
- NewsBMW iNext autonomous electric crossover teased, will be their new technology flagship
- News2019 Aston Martin Vantage production begins at Gaydon, Warwickshire