2013 Vespa VX road test
We loved the Vespa when it was launched. We loved it when we first rode it. We loved the 125cc motor that had enough pep to keep a steady 80kmph on the highway. We loved the retro-meets-modern design. We loved the Italian lineage it came from. We loved everything except the price and the braking. We'll let the price bit slip. But the braking, we just couldn't get over.
With the update, Piaggio has fixed one of the bigger problems the Vespa had
The drum-brake version took all of 41.09 metres to come to a halt from 60kmph. The brake lever itself felt like a block of wood and when you did manage to reduce velocity, the tyres would give up. Not so premium braking for a highly premium scooter.
Piaggio has addressed exactly this with the new Vespa VX. It gets two new colours, optional beige seats (standard on the red and dark blue colours), a bigger grabrail at the back, grippier tubeless tyres and most importantly, a disc brake at the front.
The Vespa now comes to a halt from 60kmph in a mere 2.1 seconds within just 18.6m
The results, I must say are quite amazing. The Vespa now comes to a halt from 60kmph in a mere 2.1 seconds within just 18.6m. That is even better than what the Aviator did with its disc brake (21.2m).
Piaggio's plan to pitch the Vespa as a premium, lifestyle product has been only moderately successful so far
With the update, Piaggio has fixed one of the bigger problems the Vespa had. Now, in our opinion, the only issue with the scooter is its price. With a price tag of Rs 72,368 (ex-Mumbai) it is a little over Rs 4,000 more than the regular Vespa. But from what we've seen so far, the price has affected the Vespa's sales. Their plan to pitch it as a premium, lifestyle product has been only moderately successful so far. we still love the Vespa, perhaps more so with the disc. The price though? Back to square one.
Vespa VX specifications
Vespa VX road test
|Engine type||4-stroke single cylinder|
|Valvetrain||3 valves per cylinder, SOHC|
|Power to weight||88.3PS/tonne|
|Suspension - Front/Rear||200mm disc/140mm drum|
|Tyres||90/100 R10 (tubeless)|
|Fuel efficiency overall||54.9|
|Price||Rs 72,368 ex-Mumbai|
- NewsRefreshed Isuzu MU-X SUV launched in India at Rs 26.26 lakh
- NewsLive updates: 2019 Isuzu MU-X SUV launch in India
- NewsDucati concludes first edition of DRE Track Days in India
- News2018 Maruti Suzuki Ertiga to be launched in India on November 21
- FeaturesWhy the Historic Monaco Grand Prix should be on your bucket list
- NewsMG Motor to launch all-electric SUV in India by 2020
- News2018 Raid de Himalaya: Arindam Saikia of Team Polaris crowned overall winner
- News2019 Kawasaki Z650 launched in India at Rs 5.29 lakh
- FeaturesFHVI's Royal Classic Car Drive to Mysore
- NewsKymco enters the Indian electric scooter market with 22 Motors