Pictorial comparo: Hyundai Elite i20 (India) vs Euro-spec i20
The i20 is manufactured by Hyundai at their plant in Chennai, India, and exported to quite a few markets around the world. While Hyundai India try their level best to give us a world-class car, the i20 sold in India differs from the one that is exported in a lot of ways. Most of them are purely cosmetic or slotted under creature comforts. The new i20, which was designed in Europe and then fine-tuned according to Europe and India separately, was launched in India on August 11, 2014 as the Elite i20. Here's a quick look at what differentiates the India-spec Elite i20 from its European counterpart:
The European i20 seems to sit slightly lower than the Indian model, thanks to better road conditions which remove the need for a higher ground clearance.
The headlamps with their swept-back design look great, but the European model gets projection beam lamps and LED parking and daytime running lights. On the outgoing i20, the LED DRLs were integrated within the fog-lamp assembly and Hyundai India started offering them as a standard fitment on the Sportz (O) trim. No word yet on the availability of LED DRLs on the Elite i20 though.
Notice the air-deflector under the front bumper of the Euro-spec i20. The Elite i20 doesn't get one.
The Euro-spec model also gets a panoramic sunroof, which can tilt or open completely.
Mysteriously, Hyundai claims that the European i20 gets 310-litres of boot space, with the seats sitting upright. The Elite i20 claims 285-litres.
There is no word yet from Hyundai on the creature comforts and feature list of the Euro-spec i20 as the model will make its commercial debut at the 2014 Paris Motor Show in October 2014. Stay tuned to OVERDRIVE for more.
Starts Rs 5.35 Lakhs
Starts Rs 4.99 Lakhs
- NewsVideo worth watching: Climb Dance - Ari Vatanen's 1988 record run at Pikes Peak
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Racing action begins at Kari Motor Speedway this weekend
- NewsSkoda takes responsibility for development of Volkswagen's low-cost small car platform in India
- NewsMahindra Racing to preview Gen2 Formula E car at CarFest South Festival
- NewsVolkswagen Motorsport India-developed TC4-A cars to compete in National Racing Championship
- News2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV launched in India at Rs 31.54 lakh
- NewsRecent trademark filing suggests Mercedes-AMG C 53 in the works
- News2018 Ford Figo sedan revealed in South Africa
- NewsSuzuki Motorcycle India launches Helmet for Life road safety campaign
- NewsPorsche buys 10% stake in EV supercar-maker Rimac