2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show
Earlier this year, filings at the United States Patent and Trademark Office suggested that Suzuki was looking at reviving its Katana nameplate from the 1980's. The motorcycle maker filed an application with the agency on February 8, 2018, for the 'Katana' mark along with the Japanese character mark and sword motif that was traditionally carried by bikes bearing this name. And now that has been confirmed by the Japanese motorcycle manufacture. Suzuki Motorcycles have already started teasing different elements of the upcoming motorcycle by releasing short clips of it on its social channels. The 2019 Suzuki Katana will be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show in Cologne.
The teaser videos do not reveal much information about the classic but it is being said that the 2019 Katana might be based on the GSX-S1000 much like the Katana 3.0 concept
The teaser videos do not reveal much information about the classic but it is being said that the 2019 Katana might be based on the GSX-S1000 much like the Katana 3.0 concept bike that was displayed at last year's EICMA show in Milan. However, it should be known that the concept that was showcased at the Milan show was not completely designed by Suzuki. Instead, it was basically a restyled GSX-S1000 and was commissioned by Italian motorcycle magazine Motociclismo. Whether Suzuki chooses to stick to this design or make a new offering is what needs to be seen. However, if the Suzuki Katana does end up looking like the concept based on the GSX-S1000, it is being speculated that the classic might replaces the GSX-S1000 in the future. Going by the lines mentioned in the teaser campaign, "On 2nd October, completely new category and brand new bike will be born " it is also being said that Suzuki might equip the Katana with the new turbocharged parallel twin engine.
The Suzuki motorcycle most likely to bear this badge will be a production version of the turbocharged parallel twin derived from the 2013 Recursion concept. The 2013 Recursion also showed some Katana styling cues and the production motorcycle will bear a GSX moniker by way of its 700cc DOHC parallel twin, four-valve engine. This turbocharged engine was shown under the name 'XE7' in 2015 and should be significantly more powerful than the 100PS output of the 2013 concept bike's SOHC 588cc twin. While there have been rumours that this bike could be called the GSX700T, the possibility of it being badged a Katana cannot be ruled out.
The Suzuki Katana was designed in 19791980 by Target Design of Germany for Suzuki
- News2018 INMRC: TVS Racing's Jagan Kumar wins the Super Sport 165cc championship
- News2019 Suzuki Hayabusa bookings open in India at Rs 1 lakh
- NewsDroom hosts India's first pre-owned automotive awards
- NewsNew Land Rover Defender teased, will debut in 2019
- NewsMahindra XUV300 SUV is the official name of S201, to be launched in February 2019
- NewsLive updates: Mahindra S201 sub-four-metre SUV name announcement
- News2019 Honda Civic spotted testing in India ahead of launch
- NewsVolkswagen ID electric hatchback begins testing, to have 550 km range
- NewsThree SUVs that will compete with Jeep Renegade in India
- NewsDucati Dream Tour Rajasthan to be held from February 1 to 5, 2019