BREAKING: Ford EcoSport 1.5-litre Dragon petrol to get 6-speed MT, will not replace 5-speed MT
Ford India will be soon adding more features to its popular offering, the EcoSport. The new features include sunroof, smoked headlights, blackened grille with DRLs and larger and swanky looking alloy wheels, similar to the one sold in the international markets. And now we at OVERDRIVE have also learnt that Ford India will be introducing a 6-speed manual transmission on the all-new 1.5-litre 3-cylinder Dragon petrol engine.
Importantly, Ford India will be adding the 6-speed MT and not replacing the 5-speed MT that is already on offer on the petrol variants of the EcoSport. The 6-speed MT petrol offering will target more towards the driving enthusiasts looking for a sportier performance. Understandably, the 6-speed MT petrol might not be a volumes earner for Ford but there does exist a substantial number that Ford wants to tap in with this new update.
The Dragon motor that was introduced in the new EcoSport makes 123PS and generates 150Nm of torque. This motor can comes with a 5-speed transmission as standard or an optional 6-speed automatic. The 1.5-litre diesel continues to make 100PS/205Nm and comes mated with a 5-speed manual unit. We have already driven the 2018 Ford EcoSport, click here to read about our first drive experience.
We believe that Ford India might launch the 6-speed MT version of the EcoSport sometime next month, perhaps with the cosmetic update. The Ford EcoSport competes with the likes of the Tata Nexon that also comes with 6-speed MT on both petrol and diesel and the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza. In our comparison of the three, it was the new Ford EcoSport that emerged as the overall winner.
Starts Rs 7.67 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.26 Lakhs
Starts Rs 6.16 Lakhs
- NewsMV Agusta and Pirelli Design unveil the limited edition Dragster 800 RR Pirelli
- NewsRetro-themed Peugeot e-Legend concept EV breaks cover
- OpinionOn the joys and hardships of motorsport writing...
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 first ride review
- News2018 Ford Aspire facelift bookings open in India ahead of launch
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez claims Aragon GP victory
- NewsTVS StaR City+ launched in new grey-black paint option at Rs 52,907
- NewsSkoda appoints Pavel Richter as production technical director of its India 2.0 project
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 riding gear and apparel
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 accessories