Maharashtra government announces tax exemption for electric vehicles
The Maharashtra government has woken up to the electric future of mobility and announced various incentives to promote purchase of electric vehicles (EVs) in the state. The state government, as part of the Faster Adoption of Manufacturing of Hybrid and Electric Vehicles (FAME) scheme, has announced tax exemption on EV purchase, cash back policy at the end of an EV's lifecycle,as well as subsidy for setting up electric charging stations. Under the scheme, the state has exempted EVs from road tax as well as registration fees. Further, it has also stated that it will offer a grant of up to Rs 15 lakh to the owner at the end of the EV's lifecycle.
In addition, the Maharashtra government will provide a 25 percent subsidy of up to Rs 10 lakh for the setup of the fist 250 electric charging stations across the state. The government has also allowed EV makers to install these charging stations at fuel stations based on clearance from authorities. It will only charge non-commercial electricity rates from the charging stations.
The scheme has been started in major cities across the state including Mumbai, Pune, Nagpur, Aurangabad, Thane, and Nashik. It should be recalled that the central government has stated in no uncertain terms that it will be pushing for 100 per cent electrification in vehicles by 2030.
Team OD | 14 Sep 2018
- NewsAprilia studying the Indian market to introduce 125cc-150cc motorcycles
- NewsVolkswagen Polo GT, Vento and Jetta recalled in India
- NewsAll Aprilia and Vespa models in India to receive ABS before 2018-end
- NewsTata Tiago hatchback records its highest ever monthly sales
- News2018 Ferrari Portofino to be launched in India on September 28
- NewsRenault-Nissan-Mitsubishi and Google announce technological partnership
- NewsLimited edition Ferrari Monza SP1 and SP2 showcased
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 teased further in new video
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq RS performance SUV teased ahead of Paris Motor Show unveil
- NewsPiaggio launches updated Aprilia SR150, Vespa and mobile connectivity app