Maharashtra government announces tax exemption for electric vehicles
The Maharashtra government has woken up to the electric future of mobility and announced various incentives to promote purchase of electric vehicles (EVs) in the state. The state government, as part of the Faster Adoption of Manufacturing of Hybrid and Electric Vehicles (FAME) scheme, has announced tax exemption on EV purchase, cash back policy at the end of an EV's lifecycle,as well as subsidy for setting up electric charging stations. Under the scheme, the state has exempted EVs from road tax as well as registration fees. Further, it has also stated that it will offer a grant of up to Rs 15 lakh to the owner at the end of the EV's lifecycle.
In addition, the Maharashtra government will provide a 25 percent subsidy of up to Rs 10 lakh for the setup of the fist 250 electric charging stations across the state. The government has also allowed EV makers to install these charging stations at fuel stations based on clearance from authorities. It will only charge non-commercial electricity rates from the charging stations.
The scheme has been started in major cities across the state including Mumbai, Pune, Nagpur, Aurangabad, Thane, and Nashik. It should be recalled that the central government has stated in no uncertain terms that it will be pushing for 100 per cent electrification in vehicles by 2030.
- NewsHonda Brio hatchback discontinued in India
- News2018 Lamborghini SC18 unveiled, its first one-off car
- NewsWRC 2018: Ogier clinches sixth title as Latvala wins Rally Australia
- NewsNissan Motor Co chairman Carlos Ghosn faces arrest by Japan authorities over financial violations allegations
- NewsVolkswagen India asked to deposit Rs 100 crores by the NGT over Dieselgate
- NewsSpied: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLA sedan caught testing
- ReviewHero Xtreme 200R vs TVS Apache RTR 160 4v comparison test
- NewsMahindra Marazzo MPV prices to increase by up to Rs 40,000 from January 2019
- News2018 MotoGP season comes to a dramatic end, Dovizioso wins 'two-part' rain soaked race
- News2018 JK NRC: Karthik Tharani wins 2018 Euro JK 18 championship