Toyota India to increase localisation of its version of the Brezza and Baleno to ensure competitive pricing
Toyota India has announced plans to expand the localization of parts in the Brezza and Baleno, two cars that it will sell under its brand name following the Suzuki-Toyota partnership that was inked in 2017. The Japanese manufacturer signed a MoU with Maruti Suzuki, the undisputed leader in the small car and compact SUV market in India to help boost sales and cut development costs. The Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza and Baleno will be rebadged as Toyota cars and sport subtle tweaks to distinguish them.
A senior Toyota official said that the company intends to increase localization to keep costs in check as well as ensure that their version of the Brezza and Baleno are priced competitively. He also said that Toyota understands the price sensitivity of the Indian market. Toyota, while signing the MoU had stated that Maruti Suzuki has immense and valuable experience in the small car space in India and that the company has managed to find the right balance between quality products and price. Toyota, on the other hand, will allow its Corolla to be sold under the Suzuki brand. Maruti Suzuki is yet to crack the premium sedan space, above the segment that the Ciaz competes in and the Corolla could boost its chances in this regard.
Besides this, the two companies are working jointly in the fields of technological development, vehicle production and safety technology. In November 2017, the companies also signed a MoU to co-develop electric vehicles for the Indian market.
Starts Rs 7.26 Lakhs
- NewsMahindra Treo electric three-wheeler range with lithium-ion battery pack launched in India at Rs 1.36 lakh
- NewsImage gallery: Jawa and Jawa Forty Two launched in India
- NewsJawa Motorcycles launches the Jawa and Jawa Forty Two at Rs 1.64 lakh and Rs 1.55 lakh
- NewsLive updates: Jawa Motorcycles all-new range launched in India
- NewsNew-gen Maruti Suzuki Ertiga starts arriving at dealerships ahead of launch
- NewsMahindra to launch new Treo electric three-wheeler today
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 road test review
- NewsLive updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 launched in India at Rs 2.50 lakh, Continental GT 650 at Rs 2.65 lakh
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 India first ride review