2018 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight Special first ride review
If you've already read the Iron 1200 story, you'll know that Harley-Davidson recently expanded the Sportster family to include these two new motorcycles for 2018. The Forty-Eight Special is the second of those models. And it's a lovely looking thing! To me the Forty-Eight is one of the most proportionate designs and the Special looks great - no surprise. What have they done?
To be honest, not a lot. The Forty-Eight Special carries no new mechanical bits. It's a Forty-Eight with an Evolution 1200 V-Twin. This engine's look is a careful interplay of black and chrome and it looks very fetching indeed.
MY18.5 Sportster Launch
The tiny 'peanut' tank is done in the new '70s style stripes that Harley-Davidson is showing off in 2018. I absolutely loved both the stripe patterns on the old-school white colour that's available on the Forty-Eight Special.
That aside, you have the new tall bars in matte black, forward controls, a solo seat and good looks.
But it goes rather well, to be honest. There's something very elemental about riding the Forty-Eight. You'll grow to like it immensely. And it's got fairly good cornering chops too. The fatter 49mm forks with a brace and grippy-chunky Michelin tyres actually do a great job of allowing you to trust the motorcycle to the constant detriment of the peg feelers. The handlebars aren't as high as the Iron 1200's and that also increases feel and feedback.
The Forty-Eight Special is very nice and you could get to buy it here. Harley-Davison India has not decided whether this one or the Iron 1200 will come to India this year. We're hoping for the Forty-Eight Special.
Starts Rs 10,50,000
Starts Rs 32,99,000
- NewsHero Xtreme 200R: Three things that we love and three we don't
- NewsRoyal Enfield Classic 500 Pegasus edition to launch in India on May 30
- FeaturesBetter riding: Heat wave
- NewsFerrai unveils SP38, a one-off inspired by the F40
- News2018 Mini Cooper S and Cooper D launched in India
- News2018 Volvo XC40: Image gallery
- NewsVolvo XC40 to be launched in India in the R-Design trim only
- NewsApple team up Volkswagen to use its T6 Transporter, equipped with its autonomous driving tech, as employee shuttles
- News100th handcrafted Bugatti Chiron rolled out
- FeaturesFeature: Celebrating 70 years of Land Rover